club service

Club Service committee

The role of the Club Service committee is to manage  membership development and retention, communication amongst members and with  District and other clubs, arrange the club programme of speakers, sporting events and  visits, and Rotaract development. Chaired by the Senior Vice President.


2017/2018 committee members
Michael Deaville (chair), Derrick Whiting (IPP), Robin Varley, Richard Griffiths, John Bradshaw, Sonia Dobson, Hywel Davies, Bob Hughes-Jones, Colin Eagles.
(MPD sub-group Sonia Dobson, Richard Griffiths, Hywel Davies, John Bradshaw (plus anyone they wish to co-opt))

 Minutes of meeting, January 23rd 2018.

Minutes of the meeting held on the 12th September were approved; there were no matters arising that are not on the agenda of the meeting.
M,D,&P group:- In SD’s absence, RG brought the following items to the committee’s attention
An Application form is in the pipeline and the 7 day letter is in the secretary’s in-tray.
The Christmas lights event went well but disappointingly, the promised assistance from Rotaractors did not materialise. Fortunately, RG was able to obtain the help of the ATC to assist in stewarding duties. A letter of thanks has been sent. Sales of cards and calendars on our stall were not as high as had hoped. Remaining calendars were to be distributed, FOC in offices, shops etc in town. The Christmas soiree and mince pie comp had gone down well.
Club Council would hopefully be discussing the proposed format of our annual pig roast in conjunction with the inner Wheel club. Dates and venue as well as format need to be considered.
MD and JB would look at organising a car treasure hunt for May, with a fish and chip supper at The Royal Oak, Llanfarian at the conclusion.
There was a brief discussion as to how we could give a LIFT of some sort to the Christmas collection. The Round Table sleigh is currently not in use and it was mooted that perhaps, despite logistical issues, we could make some use of it.
It was agreed that we do not make an event to celebrate 70 yrs of Rotary in Aber but should concentrate our efforts on a major event to celebrate 75yrs in 2023. This would be a standing agenda item for the committee to ensure that it was not sidelined.
Programme for the year is nearly full and RG has many suggestions in the pipeline
Rotaract It was disappointing that the Rotaractors had not been able to fulfil a commitment to assist at the Christmas lights festival. The fact that they were based at the Uni but were not affiliated to the Student’s union was not to their best advantage and linking up with the “town” was nigh on impossible.
Sports No report.
Web Yet again, JB was making a plea for committee chairs to publish their reports on the web pages. It was disconcerting to find that record of events was often out of date and of not much use to Rotarians and of little or no use as a promotional tool.
Visits MD had been looking at a trip to the Brecon Beacons visitor centre at Storey Arms followed by a ride on the Brecon Railway at Merthyr. JB suggested a visit to the Menai Straits and a RIB cruise up and down the Straits. Perhaps for the non-adventurous, this could be coupled with a visit to the Anglesey Sea Zoo and the Halen Mon factory.
Almoner CE reported that he had been in touch with 2 members who are currently indisposed.
AOB. Charter night arrangements would be taking place imminently. Club Council would be asked to consider appointing another Hon member.

Minutes of meeting, 7th November 2017

Minutes of previous meeting – 12th September 2017: approved.

Matters arising: none.

Membership Development and Promotion group: the group had met on 1st November and Sonia reported on its discussions:
I. Sonia to update the prospective membership list for club service. It was suggested that members should be encouraged to bring guests to both the lunch and evening meetings.

II. Richard and Hywel are working on producing a “come and join us” laminated poster to display at all events.

III. Christmas Lights Switch on. The stall in Baker Street is booked at no charge and there has been excellent support from members to help on the day and to marshal the procession. We will be selling Christmas cards, Calendars and hopefully the crocuses. Consideration was given to whether we could sell Christmas puddings, but this may not be practical due to the cost.

IV. Events. Several suggestions for events in the coming year were discussed:
• Mince pie contest, cooked solely by members.
• Annual Pig Roast, needs reviewing.
• Fish and Chip supper night at The Oak, Llanfarian.
• Christmas caroling.
• Reintroduce the Santa Sleigh run around the streets.
• Film Premiere night at the Arts Centre.

V. John and Hywel are working on a FAQ page on the website as well as a link to make donations.

VI. Aberystwyth Rotary Club 70th Anniversary in 2018.
• A plan is needed for 70th year events “70 years of Rotary in Aberystwyth serving the community”.
• President is working on an article with Huw Bates for the EGO
• One suggestion is a volunteering day open to the public, which would involve inviting all charitable / volunteering organisations in the Aberystwyth area, possibly in Morlan.

Programme: Richard reported that it is progressing well.

Rotaract: Richard reported that 9 Rotaractors had helped marshall the recent fireworks display, during which they had carried out a collection. It is anticipated that they will be available to assist with our Christmas collections.

Visits: Previous suggestions are still under review.

Sports: No report.

Web: John submitted a written report:
• The programme, the excellent speaker report page, and 5 out of 6 committee pages are up to date.
• The collection rota schedules (fair & lights, town centre, and supermarkets) are published and will be amended weekly after each Rotary meeting.
• FAQ is in under development.

Almoner: Colin reported contact with several of our absent members.

PRO: No report.

AOB: Michael will attend a President Elect’s preparation session at Narberth on 14th November.

Date of next meeting: 23rd January 2018.

 

Minutes of meeting, 12th September 2017

Apologies for absence: Hywel Davies, Bob Hughes-Jones , Derrick Whiting

Minutes of previous meeting – 11th July 2017: approved.

Matters arising: none.

Membership Development and Promotion group: Sonia reported that following the recent induction of two new members, the prospective membership list had been updated with some new names.
The calendar of events for the rest of 2017 includes:
16th September. Farmers’ Market with Foundation committee and the sale of Christmas cards.
(Production of a calendar with images of local events was suggested).
November. Fireworks display to be supported with marshalls, in conjunction with Rotaract.
2nd December. Christmas Lights lantern parade and switch-on to be supported with marshalls, and sale of Christmas cards (and cards-for-all-purposes, calendars and other items?).
5th December. Christmas Soiree ideas needed.
Future events. Film Premier evening at the Arts Centre, being researched.
Gazebo loan to other organisations. No hire fee but charitable donations would be welcome.

Programme: Richard reported that he was in need of a replacement speaker for next week’s evening meeting and that the Christmas Soiree had been moved to 5th December.
Further discussion of the programme included a suggestion that International may need to review the date of the Pig Roast and even consider the nature of the event.

Rotaract: Richard was maintaining contact but had nothing significant to report.

Visits: Michael suggested a possibility, namely a National Trust trip that he and Haydn had recently enjoyed to the Brecon Beacons National Park visitor centre and the Brecon Mountain Railway. Another suggestion was a ride on the Cambrian Coast railway, even if it was only as far as Penhelig with a meal at the Penhelig Arms. These suggestions, together with a possible visit to Inverness will be kept under review.

Sports: The 2017-18 cycle of competitions will start at the appropriate point in the calendar.

Web: John reported that all is well, but that contributions to Facebook are needed. He is in discussion with Hywel D about a FAQs page for the general public. There was also a suggestion that we have a “Giving” page.

Almoner: Colin reported a quiet period since the last meeting.

PRO: David continues to contribute excellent reports to the Cambrian News and to our website.

AOB: Mike P has soured a suitable AV lead for use with speakers’ Apple devices.

Date of next meeting: 14th November 2017.

Minutes of meeting, 11th July 2017

Apologies for absence: Sonia Dobson, Bob Hughes-Jones.

Minutes of previous meeting – 6th June 2017: approved.

Matters arising: none.

Membership, Development and Promotion group: The group is liaising with other organisations regarding us providing Rotary marshalls at the Far Old Line Festival, the Sea2Shore Festival and Aberystwyth Carnival. Jeremy Turner had recently given an enthusiastic talk to Club about the first event.
Replacement display A-frames have now been received.
Two 7-day letters have just been issued and it is hoped that the two prospective members will be inducted on 18th July, on the occasion of the DG’s visit.

Programme: Richard reported that the skeleton (dates of Club Council, Committees, AGM etc) of the 2017-18 programme had been created and was now being fleshed out with speakers, social events etc. The Young Musician evening will be on 14th November, so the Committees meeting will move to 7th November. (The web programme has been updated). The last meeting of 2017 and the first meeting of 2018 will be a “jovial” lunch and an evening New Year’s Message respectively. This year the Christmas soiree will be organised by our International committee.
IPP Derrick wished to record his appreciation to Richard of last year’s excellent programme.

Rotaract: Richard was pleased with Rotaract’s participation as Cyclefest marshalls. Liaison between us and Aberaeron RC could be better.

Visits: The visit to the Royal Mint and to Penderyn had been a great success thanks to Bob H-J’s meticulous planning of the arrangements, despite Bob himself unfortunately being unable to go. Ideas for future visits, and volunteer organiser, will be welcomed. Inverness was suggested as a possibility, to be researched.

Sports: The 2016-17 cycle of competitions had concluded with the presentation of the cup at Club Assembly. Iori is looking forward to arranging the 2017-18 competitions.

Web: John reported that all is well, and asked that Committee Chairs be reminded to put their committee reports on the Club website.
Responsibilty for Club’s Facebook entries should pass to the incoming President, but Martin has deferred to Derrick’s expertise, with Martin exercising editorial control.

Almoner: Colin had been busy in recent weeks, maintaining contact with a number of Rotarians (and/or their family) who have been unwell. Colin will continue to communicate sympathy and offers of practical support but reminded us that we need to keep him updated.

PRO: David continues to contribute reports to the Cambrian News. The committee praised the quality of David’s input.

AOB: Derrick reported that the 2017-18 District Conference will be in Plymouth on 13-15/10/17.
We are responsible for hosting the first round of the Quiz in the autumn. Hywel will pass this to our team captain, David.

Date of next meeting: 12th September 2017.

 

Comments are closed